21 May 2008

survival of the fittest

Call us lame. Call us bleeding hearts. Call us weenies. We don't care. We love all the animals that live in our backyard and in the park just beyond our fence. We especially love Marshall. He is the baby bunny that lived under our deck and let BJ and me pretend he was our pet. BJ fed him cracked corn, carrots, ginger root...by fed, I mean BJ would scatter it on the ground and Marshall would cautiously creep out to eat it while we watched.

Much to my dismay, I came home from work, gas station, grocery store and Jun's for takeout only to find our sweet Marshall in our sweet Ruby's mouth.

I love that girl (and her sister) more than just about anything, so I don't think I was able to make my voice stern enough or point my finger stiffly enough to make her understand that it was NOT OK...especially when her ears lay down and her sad face breaks my heart. I mean, she's our little huntress, it's her nature, right? Dern Darwinism.

Alas, Marshall still resides under our deck because Ruby dropped him under the stairs and I don't have the cojones to go get him. In his memory there is a red solo cup emblazoned "MARSHALL" in black sharpie on our kitchen counter that will likely remain until the trash truck comes again next Wednesday.

4 remark(s):

Robin Johnson RPh said...

Poor sweet Marshall. I can relate, I almost caused a pile up with a semi and a motorcycle over a momma duck and 6-7 baby ducklings crossing Coulter under the HWY 66 overpass. They looked so scared, scattering out then gathering up. The next day there were no greasy spots in the road so I guess they got across. rj

Herschel said...

Ok, I guess it is a girl's thing... And I'm sorry to say this but you conditioned Marshall that he was in a safe zone. I guess the memo didn't get to the little girls.

Oh, yea, and when is goof-ball BJ going to get onboard with the in-crowd and do some real blogging?

Anonymous said...

While I was in Amarillo, I ran over a cottontail one night on BR road. Sorry, I can't get it out of my mind. I am so glad I have a soft hearted daughter in law. You are the best.

B

Reid said...

Ginny!...i'm just now responding to your comment you left (months ago)...i'm glad you found me on here. I hope to get back to this...i need it