03 April 2008

J-O-B update

Alrighty, 3 days down as a Collections Investigator in the Probation Department of the 4th Judicial District. One more till the weekend! Orientation stuff is boring and not being able to really work because I don't know what I'm doing is boooring. However, I wholeheartedly think this job has the potential to be really, really cool.

My office is in the courthouse, downtown. It's silly, but I like being a downtown girl...when the weather is nice enough to walk around during lunch (1 of 3 days so far). The parking sucks though.

The three of us "CIs" are in a different wing than the Probation Office. We're actually being temporarily housed in a semi-converted judge's chambers in a hallway of courtrooms and holding cells. Walking down the halls is a trip with guys in orange jumpsuits and handcuffs just ahead of you. The courtroom that we can see through the one way window in our office is the parole hearing room...we have lots of family members loitering in the doorway. They're moving us in a few weeks...as of today, no one knows where.

I'm totally overwhelmed with all the things I need to learn. It's all so different than anything I've ever done, but I'm really excited.

6 remark(s):

Chelsea said...

This is so cool! You are going to have great stories about the day that an orange jump suit guy goes balistic. I am guessing it happens every now and again. Do you guys have panic buttons by your desk? We did at the court, and we were constantly mistakenly hitting them with our knee or something...guards would come running. Very exciting. :) Keep us updated on all the job stuff.

Jan said...

Yay! I'm so glad you posted about this. I've been wondering...

Sounds pretty cool--I'm glad it looks like it's going to be interesting.

Can't wait to hear more when you get into it for real!

Robin Johnson RPh said...

Thanks Chelsea. We were already worried, somewhat comforted by the fact that everyone in this building has to go through security, but still wondering about the parking lot. Maybe we could invest in one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons for you and we'll call it a "he's a felon and won't let me up". Dad thinks that you aught to just pack your own heat. Yeah right!rj

Julie said...

I am loving this.

My mom wants to get me a tazer for Christmas. She said if I will pay for the training class, she will get me the tazer. You in?

Robin Johnson RPh said...

Boy, she gets a job and forgets all about her devoted bloggees. rj

Jan said...

Yeah... that's what I was thinking, RJ!