27 October 2009

my husband is an ironman

BJ, the dogs and I left the Springs after work on Wednesday nite, arriving in Amarillo about 1:30am. Then got up (left the dogs w/ my parents) Thursday morning and drove to Austin. We stayed with Mark and Pam Notto, Mark is BJ's buddy from MCI/Verizon that also participated in the Longhorn Ironman 70.3 aka The Flat Zac Classic.

The race wasn't until Sunday so we had Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday to hang out and play. I actually ditched BJ on Friday to go spend some time with my college roommates. Chelsea, who lives in Austin and Laurie (and her 3yr old daughter, Meredith) came over from Houston to visit. I'll spare y'all more play-by-play of the weekend and get to what I'm sure you're most interested in...THE RACE.

It started at 7:30 on Sunday morning at Decker Lake. They started in waves so the pros started first, then it went by age. Notto started about 7:35ish and BJ started at 8:30. I was really glad we were able to find BJ in the throng of people before he started...

[please excuse how awesome I look, humidity makes my hair look great - as does getting ready in the dark at 6:00 am][breakfast of champions]
[slight wardrobe malfunction - w/ Scott, Chelsea's husband][after the 1.2 mile swim - getting chicked (a girl passing him)][1st transition from swim to bike - i just like this pic cuz he looks nekkid]
[starting the 56 mile ride]
[cruising thru the 13.1 mile run]
[the home stretch - where notto's wife was ready to hand each of them a flat zac to carry across the finish line]
[and the long-awaited FINISH LINE!]
[a couple of notto]


[my happy, stud muffin after a shower and dinner post-race]
All said and done, BJ finished in 6hrs and 51min. Initially he was pleased just to have finished but now that he's had some time to digest it all and nitpick himself he's disappointed with his time. I say "who cares?" considering I wouldn't even contimplate attempting a race like that! He was surprisingly spry, cheerful and pain free afterward. It's still up in the air if this was his last race or not.....:)

9 remark(s):

Jan said...

Ah! I love the pictures!!! He was awesome---so proud of the big finish!

Hayley said...

I am so impressed! The whole thing makes me tired just thinking about it.

Robin Johnson RPh said...

Explained the race to Freddy (my Vietnam Vet delivery man) X# of miles of swim, X# miles of bike, X# of miles of run. His comment was "all at one time? in one day? back to back to back?" Right with you Fred! I'm proud too! rj

diddy said...

old diddy pretty impressed too... shows commitment...big lungs...big heart...and a substantial set of "cojones"...enough to make any dad proud...well done beej. T Diddy.

Fave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jesson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.