22 October 2008

politicked

I cannot eloquently convey how sick and tired I am of this election. I am fed up with all the commercials, bumper stickers, fliers and news commentaries touting one candidate as our savior and the other as the devil incarnate. Part of my rationale lies in the fact that I’m sick of it being so “in your face” but even more because it’s such a waste of money and resources. Are any of our candidates really that concerned with saving a freakin’ tree? Stop sending junk in the mail. Are any of our candidates really that concerned with the economy? Make better use of your campaign contributions. Are any of our candidates really that concerned with gas/oil prices, supply, sources, etc.? Stop flying to a different state three times a day. I can go on and on…

Even more than all the nationwide propaganda, I am becoming infuriated with all the unsolicited e-mails I receive from people that I know that assume I want my inbox flooded with crap. It saddens me that people go to so much trouble to vilify and malign their opposition. It saddens me that people can be so intolerant of different viewpoints that they become fanatical and bombard others with their “truths.”

Yes, I am a Christian and oppose abortion. Does that necessarily mean I’ll vote for McCain? No.

Yes, I am a woman. Does that necessarily mean I’ll vote for McCain/Palin? No.

Yes, I am young and like cool t-shirts. Does that mean I’ll vote for Obama? No.

Yes, I want “change” for our country. Does that mean I’ll vote for Obama? No.

Yes, I am anti-big business and corporate greed. Does that mean I’ll vote for Obama? No.

Yes, I think our nation is in a crisis. Does that mean I think either McCain or Obama will fix it? No.

I have faith that our system of checks and balances will prevail, so that no one person or group can dictate our country into the ground. But even more than that faith, I believe that the Lord is in control and He surely will take care of us.

So stop sending me junk e-mail for these last few weeks of the campaign! And don’t even start sending me the “wailing and gnashing of teeth” commentaries when your candidate doesn’t win!

1 remark(s):

Julie said...

I vote for Ginny.